Personal Support options
The value of being able to talk with someone who understands what you have been through, and knows how important your birth experience is to your sense of wellbeing, cannot be underestimated. The healing process begins with being listened to by a compassionate person, someone who validates your thoughts and feelings surrounding your birth. Following a traumatic birth, women are frequently fed the undermining line that, "A healthy baby is all that matters." At Voice For Parents, we acknowledge that the emotional and mental wellbeing of parents is incredibly important, too. We're here to help you process what happened, and to assist you with finding ways to move forward positively.
For all personal support sessions, Carla will come to work with you in your home if you live within 30 mins of Hamilton. Outside of this, you can either come to Carla, or have your session via phone or Skype, or we may be able to arrange for Carla to come to you (additional travel expenses will apply*). Partners are welcome to attend these sessions at no extra cost. If you are are unsure whether or not to have your partner present, please discuss this with Carla.
Unravelling YOur Birth Story (2 hours)
This session is a vital first step on your pathway to healing. Using your birth records (which I can help you to retrieve if you don't already have a copy) alongside your own description of your birth, I'll help you to make better sense of what happened and why. We'll discuss tools that will assist you in healing, and I'll support you to remove any residual guilt you may be harbouring with regards to how you brought your baby into the world, including any struggles you may have had, or still have, around bonding with your baby. You'll leave this session feeling empowered with new-found knowledge and insights, and full of hope for a more peaceful journey as you seek to resolve your trauma.
Note: This service is available for traumatised partners, too. We can tailor the consultation to meet your specific needs (click here for further details).
Personalised Planning for a better birth (2 hours)
Already worked on processing your traumatic birth? Ready to plan for a healing, positive and empowering next birth? This session is designed for those who've previously unravelled their birth story with me. Together we will...
- talk about your greatest hopes for this birth and uncover the steps needed to fulfil them
- discuss your fears surrounding this birth and put steps in place to keep them in check
- revisit the 'stumbling blocks' of your previous birth and make plans in case any similar scenarios should arise again
- delve into the 'how, where and with whom?' questions regarding your upcoming birth, making sure you've got the key understandings for a smooth pathway to the positive birth you're seeking
- talk 'birth plans' and look at the points you'll need to discuss with your midwife/care-providers
- make plans for the roles that your partner and/or other support people will play in your birth
Processing and Positive Planning - tying it all together (3 hours)
Together we will spend an intensive three hours unravelling your traumatic birth story, then setting you up for the healing birth you're seeking. This session is a combination of the two above. It'll leave you feeling strong, inspired and empowered - this may well be THE best investment you make for yourself and your family, ever.
We are creating an online antenatal series aimed at women/couples who have experienced a negative or traumatic first birth and want to know all the info, tools and understandings necessary to achieve that positive, healing birth they're seeking. Go to our home page and subscribe to be kept up to date on progress.
postnatal doula service with Jenni
Following the birth of your baby, I am able to provide emotional and practical support in your home *. During this busy, challenging, and very special time in your life, it can be so incredibly helpful to have an understanding and knowledgeable woman to support you however you need. I am just that person. This service will be tailored to your specific needs - contact me to make a plan today. Here is what my Postnatal Doula Service can offer you:
- Practical support - I can help you and your baby with sleeping, bonding, feeding and settling support and guidance. Or, while you are tending to your baby or getting some rest, I can assist with household chores or running errands. I am also able to help out with your older children. As well, I can guide you to other community services and support groups that are available in your community.
- Emotional support - I will talk you through any worries that are playing on your mind. Whether you lack confidence in yourself as a mother, whether you worry that you're not bonding with your baby like you 'should' be, whether you and your partner are struggling to see eye-to-eye or you're dealing with the challenges of single parenthood, whether you are battling to come to terms with your birth, or don't know how to deal with unwanted advice from others, I totally understand what a massive, life-changing time this is for you. I will gently guide you so that you feel less overwhelmed, and learn to trust that you do know what is best for your baby, and that you are doing a great job.
My aim is to help you to come to trust your mothering instincts, and to learn how to communicate with, and 'listen' to, your baby. I fully acknowledge what an overwhelming and powerful life transition this is for you, and I'm happy to share my own wisdom, knowledge, struggles and experiences with you. Ultimately though, I want to empower you to believe in yourself.
* We travel within a 30 minute distance of Hamilton City. If you live further away than this, we may still be able to come to you, with extra charges as follow: $10/10 minutes drive time, outside of the 30 minutes that we travel for free (both there and back, ie. 1 hour free travel).